SAPS can’t probe alleged abduction of 162 children

The department insists that the children were taken against their will.

SAPS can’t probe alleged abduction of 162 children

SAPS can’t probe alleged abduction of 162 children photo credit: EWN

Police in the North West have said that they can’t investigate a case of alleged abduction without a formal complaint after the removal of 162 children from a boarding school in the province.

The provincial Education Department claims that a drunk mob, allegedly the parents of the 162 children, removed them from the Boons Mega Farm School on Tuesday night.

This follows after the community became angry at the department when the pupils were taken to the boarding school, far from their homes, after their school was vandalized during the holidays.

The school had been vandalized a few times and so the department decided to arrange alternative accommodation for the children, however, parents demanded that a new school be built as was promised.

The department insists that the children were taken against their will.

“We are still conducting an audit to find out if all these kids are safe wherever they have taken them to. Some are calling the department pleading with us to arrange transport to take them back,” said department spokesperson Elias Malindi.

The Tirelong school governing body chair said they were not consulted about the children being moved. “They said after three years, they’re going to build a school. We’ve been waiting and waiting.”

The SGB, however, could not confirm nor deny whether the children’s own parents are behind the their removal.

Sources: EWN, The World News

Follow FiND iT on Facebook here.

ALSO READ: Confusion over alleged abduction of 162 schoolchildren from school hostel

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.