January 26, 2022

Novak Djokovic: Australia cancels tennis star’s visa, again

But on Friday evening in Melbourne, Hawke cancelled Djokovic’s visa under separate powers in Australia’s Migration Act.

Novak Djokovic se visum weer gekanselleer

Novak Djokovic deported. Photo: BBC

Australia has once again revoked Novak Djokovic’s visa over his right to remain in the country while unvaccinated.

The decision by Immigration Minister Alex Hawke on “health and good order” grounds means he could be deported. However, Djokovic could launch another legal challenge to remain in Australia.

Djokovic was supposed to defend his title in the Australian Open which begins on Monday.

“Today I exercised my power… to cancel the visa held by Novak Djokovic on health and good order grounds, on the basis that it was in the public interest to do so,” the minister said in a statement.

The move also means Djokovic likely faces a three-year ban on obtaining a new Australian visa – although this can be waived.

Djokovic’s visa was first revoked after he arrived in Melbourne after the Australian border Force officials said that he had “failed to provide appropriate evidence” to receive a vaccine exemption.

He was detained for hours at Melbourne airport’s immigration control, and then spent days at an immigration hotel. Days later his visa was reinstated by a judge, who ordered his release, ruling that border officials ignored correct procedure when he arrived.

But on Friday evening in Melbourne, Hawke cancelled Djokovic’s visa under separate powers in Australia’s Migration Act.

The act allows him to deport anyone he deems a potential risk to “the health, safety or good order of the Australian community”, however Djokovic can still appeal this.

It comes after Djokovic addressed allegations that he had made a false declaration on his travel form – which stated that he had not travelled in the 14 days prior to his arrival in Australia, when in fact he had been to Spain.

He said the mistake was made by his agent, calling it “human error” and adding that it was “not deliberate”.

He also admitted to meeting a journalist and having a photoshoot after testing positive for Covid-19.

Sources: BBC, Business Insider

Follow FiND iT on Facebook here.

ALSO READ: Prince Andrew gives up military titles and patronages

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.