Parents and guardians of unplaced learners stood in a long queue outside the Gauteng Department of Education office in Johannesburg on Wednesday, hoping to find space in schools for their kids.
State schools in inland provinces reopened on Wednesday.
Some people said that had arrived as early as 6am and even a few children dressed in school uniforms joined their parents and guardians in the queues.
Addressing the media at Setlabotjha Primary School in Sebokeng on Wednesday morning, MEC for Education Panyaza Lesufi apologised to parents of unplaced learners. He said the number of unplaced learners stood at about 700, which he noted is way down from last year’s 35,000 unplaced learners in Gauteng.
Lesufi said the department is committed to placing the 700 learners before the end of January.
The online portal for late applications for the 2022 academic year for grade 1 and grade 8 in Gauteng also opened on Wednesday. The applications will remain open for the next 16 days.
Sources: MSN, VNExplorer
Follow FiND iT on Facebook here.