December 7, 2021

Student sentenced to death for smuggling ‘Squid Game’ into North Korea

It is understood that he will now be executed by firing squad.

Student sentenced to death for smuggling ‘Squid Game’ into North Korea

Student sentenced to death for smuggling ‘Squid Game’ into North Korea photo credit: MSN

The North Korean government has sentenced a man to death for allegedly smuggling and selling copies of the Netflix series Squid Game to high school students.

According to various reports, the man – a student – is said to have returned from China with a digital version of the Squid Gamer series stored on a hidden USB flash drive.

However, after selling copies to several people, including fellow students, he was caught by the government’s strike force that specializes in catching illegal video watchers.

It is understood that he will now be executed by firing squad.

Six other students who watched Squid Game have been sentenced to five years of hard labour.

This comes as North Korea has a strict ban on material from the West and South Korea being allowed into the county, officials are now carrying out searches at the student’ schools to find any more foreign media.

Some teachers have reportedly been fired or could face being banished to work in remote mines as punishment.

“This all started last week when a high school student secretly bought a USB flash drive containing the South Korean drama Squid Game and watched it with one of his best friends in class,” a law enforcement source told the publication. 

The source said the pair discussed the series with friends who became interested and bought copies from him.

The arrest of the students marks the first time that the government is applying the newly passed law on the “Elimination of Reactionary Thought and Culture” in a case involving minors, according to the source.

The law carries a maximum penalty of death for watching, keeping, or distributing media from capitalist countries, particularly from South Korea and the United States. 

The source added the government was taking the incident “very seriously”.

“The Central Committee has dismissed the school principal, their youth secretary, and their homeroom teacher”, it states further.

Sources: MSN, Yahoo

Follow FiND iT on Facebook here.

ALSO READ: Peng Shuai has finally appeared in public but concerns remain

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *