The Independent Electoral Commission (IEC) launched its online voter registration platform on Wednesday. This will allow new voters to register and existing ones to update their details.
The online facility forms part of the commission’s goal to provide greater accessibility and to make it more convenient for voters.
In a statement released on Wednesday morning they stated that, “It follows the implementation of a range of other digital service channels over the past five years, including online candidate nominations, online special vote applications, and online party funding declarations”.
The launch op the online voter registration facility is the second phase, with the first phase having been implemented ahead of the 2019 national elections.
“The first phase was the introduction of an online service known as ‘Click, Check, Confirm’ ahead of the 2019 National and Provincial Elections through which existing voters were able to check and amend their registration. More than 350,000 voters have made use of this system since its introduction.”
There will be a planned voter registration weekend at physical voting stations from 31 July to 1 August with all voting stations expected to be open between 08h00 and 17h00.
Eligible voters can register using the following steps:
- Go to https://registertovote.elections.org.za
- Click “Register to Vote Now”
- Enter your personal details
- Enter the One-Time Pin sent to your cellphone
- Search for your address, or if you are at home, use the current location on your device
- Take a photo of your ID OR submit a scan of your ID
- You will receive an SMS within 24 hours confirming your successful registration.
- Users who created profiles on the existing “Click, Check, Confirm” platform can use the same login details to access the system.
Sources: Business Tech, MSN
Follow FiND iT on Facebook here.