Victims in Norway attack killed with ‘sharp object’, not bow and arrow

Deel hierdie storie / Share this story

According to the police, the five people who died in an attack in Norway last week were actually killed by a “sharp object” and not a bow and arrow as was first reported.

The suspect, Espen Andersen Brathen, shot at people with arrows in Kongsberg, close to the capital Oslo, however the investigating officers said that it appeared that at some point he either discarded or lost his bow.

Police made a statement on Monday that five people were killed with a sharp object in both their own homes and in public spaces. In the statement, they said that information on the type of weapon used could not be released as all witnesses have not yet been questioned. They also added that the victims were selected at random and that a number of people were shot at with arrows at the beginning of the attack but none were killed by them.

Brathen has admitted to going on a killing spree in Kongsberg, Norway last week, he is now in custody in a medical facility pending a psychiatric evaluation but this could take several months.

“As far as motive is concerned, illness remains the main hypothesis. And as far as conversion to Islam is concerned, this hypothesis is weakened,” police inspector Per Thomas Omholt told reporters, without elaborating.

Sources: BBC, Seattle Times

Follow FiND iT here.

ALSO READ: Man arrested after bow-and-arrow attack